I know it’s not the middle of summer and your bronzed glow has probably turned into a pale mess, but dry skin is a major problem during these winter months. Let’s change that.
Dryness first occurs when your skin feels rough and begins to look dull and cracked.
For most cases, dry skin can result from your skin lacking moisture. However, keep in mind that too much moisture can cause just as much damage. You have to find your balance.
WHAT TO DO?
Here are some tips to help get you through this dry spell:
- Refrain from those intense soaps and detergents
- Use indoor room humidifiers
- Take warm (not hot) showers
- Make sure to always use a moisturizing body/hand soap
- Put on a moisturizer after drying off from a shower or washing your hands
WHEN IN DOUBT – MOISTURIZE.
Moisturizers are the savers of your skin and can help you get back to your smooth ways. They should be applied during the day and at night or whenever you’re feeling itchy.
Dermatologists and skin care experts have recommended different types of moisturizers to prevent (and stop) dry skin.
There are four basic kinds of body moisturizers.
- Ointment moisturizers are great for trapping the moisture inside your skin. Just apply it in tiny amounts and rub it all in. But you may have to get over the fact it’s greasy and feels like goopy syrup.
- Oil moisturizers aren’t always everybody’s favorite, but are still very beneficial. You can put baby oil or bath oil directly onto your body to help eliminate the lack of moisture in your skin.
- Cream moisturizers usually win in the war against oils. Because they are not oily, these creamy substances disappear quickly after being rubbed into your skin.
- Lotion moisturizers take the trophy for the leading moisturizer (at least for me). They are the least oily which makes them much more tolerable and pleasurable. Apply it in appropriate amounts and see the results right away.
I promise this isn’t as hard as it looks. I encourage you to take care of your skin, it will make you look and feel more beautiful. It’s time to bring that silky skin back and show it off during these dry, winter months.